How often should I see the obstetrician if I’m pregnant and have diabetes?

You’ll need more frequent visits to your obstetrician, perhaps every two weeks for the first part of your pregnancy and weekly during the last month. The reason for these visits is to make sure that your baby is developing as expected and that you stay in good health.

Common Tests During Pregnancy

• You will be screened for neural tube defects early in pregnancy (around weeks 15–18) by measuring the concentration of alpha-­fetoprotein in your blood.
  • You’ll need an ultrasound test early in your pregnancy (to show when your baby was conceived) and several more throughout your pregnancy to follow the baby’s growth.
  • A fetal echocardiogram may be done around the middle of your pregnancy.
  • Other monitoring includes counting your baby’s movements for an hour each day and fetal movement and heart rate monitoring during the last 6–12 weeks of pregnancy. These tests help ensure your baby’s well-being and will assist your health care team in deciding when to deliver your baby.
Evelyn Minaya, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

It depends on what kind of diabetes you have. For example, an insulin-dependent diabetic needs to see the ob more often because as the placenta gets bigger and more mature, the placenta will secrete more human placental lactogen that may make the insulin work less efficiently. A diet-dependent diabetic needs to see her obstetrician more often than a regular patient but less than the patient I just described above. ALL patients need to see a high-risk doctor as a complement to their care (this is also called a perinatologist). They monitor the baby's growth and will also assess the placenta. Usually if there are any medications used to control the diabetes, the perinatologist will adjust the medications.

The important thing to remember when pregnant and a diabetic whether diagnosed before or in the pregnancy, you have to be very good about diet control and exercise!

Patients with insulin dependent diabetes should see their doctor BEFORE they conceive to be sure they are under excellent control before pregnancy. This reduces complications during pregnancy and birth defects. Your doctor will want to see you every couple of weeks early in the pregnancy and likely twice weekly in the late part of the pregnancy for fetal monitoring.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Who Should Consider Using a Pre-Filled Insulin Pen?
In this video, endocrinologist Jack Merendino, MD, discusses pre-filled insulin pens, a method for taking insulin that some people with diabetes may p...
If I have diabetes and am sick, how often should I check my blood sugar?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
This depends on two things: what type of diabetes you have and how sick you are. In general, people...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
Is Fee for Service Going to Bankrupt Healthcare?