Can I change brands of test strips in my glucose monitor kit?

Other manufactures may produce generic test strips that work with your glucose monitor kit. These are usually cheaper than brand name test strips. However, always carefully check the packaging of the generic test strips to see if your glucose monitor kit is listed as compatible. A generic test strip may not work with your monitor even if it looks exactly like the brand name one. If your results seem unusual, the generic test strips may not be working properly.
William Lee Dubois
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism

Nope! No generics in the meter biz. Every brand of meter will only work with its own kind of strips. Within some brands, a particular strip will work in several different meters. OneTouch comes to mind as a good example of a platform with a number of meters that will all work with the same strip. With other brands, every meter in the lineup has its own unique strip, AccuChek would be a good example of this approach.

But no meter in the world will work with someone else’s strips.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

How Diabetes Can Hurt Your Feet—And What You Can Do
People with diabetes often have problems with their feet. One common issue is peripheral neuropathy, which affects up to half of diabetes patients. Th...
Does exercise affect insulin sensitivity in diabetes?
For people with diabetes, regular exercise can improve insulin sensitivity. Watch the animation to l...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
What Should My Family Know About Diabetes?