Are rice cakes a healthy snack for people with diabetes?

Some rice cakes are really not a good choice at all. Rice is a high glycemic index grain, even when it's whole grain (brown), so it can spike blood sugar levels. What's more, some brands add sugar or corn syrup to their rice cakes. If you want to try rice cakes as a snack, top them with some peanut butter, cream cheese or another spread that contains fat and protein and test your blood glucose two hours later. You may find that you can have rice cakes without a problem.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

How to Monitor Your Blood Sugar for Diabetes
How can you tell if the goals of your diabetes management plan are working to hold your blood sugar in range? The easiest way is to monitor your blood...
Should I avoid certain foods if I have diabetes?
Enas ShakkourEnas Shakkour
It is okay to eat bread if you have diabetes. However, you much watch how much you eat. Bread is a c...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
Has New Technology Made a Difference in Diabetes?