Will dentures affect my sense of taste?

For the most part, people with dentures can still taste foods the same way they did before they got dentures since the majority of taste comes from taste buds on the tongue. In fact, people may be able to eat a wider variety of foods, which can be beneficial for health reasons and for enjoyment! In some cases, people who wear complete dentures may have a slight reduction in taste. Also, the lower denture may interfere with the tongue. Talk to your dentist if you're concerned about your dentures interfering with your sense of taste.

Continue Learning about Dentures

Will dentures make me look different?
Dr. Saul N. Miller, DDSDr. Saul N. Miller, DDS
Dentures can certainly affect your appearance. If you have existing dentures and you wish to make ch...
Are there alternatives to dentures?
Stephen HandisidesStephen Handisides
Having missing teeth can also make people feel very self-conscious, and the old-fashioned solution o...
What problems should I expect with new dentures?
New dentures may cause problems for the first few months of wearing them. It takes a while for your ...
Will dentures increase my risk for oral health problems?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
As long as you continue to take care of your mouth, dentures shouldn't increase your risk for oral h...