What is the difference between upper and lower dentures?

Romesh Nalliah
Dentist
An upper denture is able to get good suction by adhering to the palate in the upper jaw. In the lower jaw there is no palate because the tongue is in the way! This makes lower dentures less adherent and more difficult to get accustomed to. Your dentist will always try his best to save some lower teeth so that there is something to attach a partial denture onto for stability. Complete lower dentures should be avoided.
The most basic difference is their location. The upper denture replaces the upper teeth and the lower denture replaces lower teeth. Most people find that upper dentures are easier to get used to and are better fitting.
The main difference between upper and lower dentures is, obviously, where they're placed. If a person is missing all of their teeth in both jaws, both upper and lower dentures will be required. However, if a person is missing teeth only on their upper jaw or only on their lower jaw, they may only require one or the other set of dentures. Each denture is custom-made to fit a person's gums and bones, so just as people's upper and lower natural teeth look different, their upper and lower dentures will also look different.

Continue Learning about Dentures

Can I repair my dentures myself?
Arnold I. Liebman, DDSArnold I. Liebman, DDS
I would not recommend it. I know that there are products being sold to the consumer to repair your d...
Will my dentures need to be replaced eventually?
Dr. Saul N. Miller, DDSDr. Saul N. Miller, DDS
Absolutely. When you have dentures it is essential that you have annual examinations, to evaluate...
Does denture adhesive containing zinc cause neuropathy?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
It is possible that some popular brands of denture adhesive that contain zinc can cause neurological...
How do dentures help edentulism?
Edentulism, or lack of teeth, is corrected with replacement of teeth. One way to accomplish this is ...