Can I repair my dentures myself?

I would not recommend it. I know that there are products being sold to the consumer to repair your dentures; however you may do more harm than good.

Many times it will be required to be sent to a dental laboratory for a long term repair. The dentist will examine your dentures to evaluate the reason why it is in need of repair and if it will be successful for long term wear.
It's not recommended. It's important to discover the "why" behind what happened to your denture to cause it to need repair. If you don't discover the "why" the problem will happen again. 

Also, if you don't get the parts back together correctly, you may create sores on your gums or problems with your bite. It's harder than you might think to put the pieces back together the right way. Some materials people use also make it harder to properly repair your denture when you do finally see a dentist.

It is best to have a dentist evaluate and fix any problem with your dentures. If they are cracked, broken, or a tooth is broken or out; your dentist can advise you as to the appropriate treatment. If they can be repaired your dentist will work with a dental laboratory to fix your denture. If you try to glue a tooth back in and do not get it in the right place, it can affect the rest of your dentures. Also if the tooth is not in the correct position it could affect how your teeth come together. This could cause difficulty in chewing and/or pain in your jaw joint (TMJ). Sometimes dentures cannot be repaired and require new dentures.

The real question is "should you repair your denture yourself?" An apparently simple repair may actually not be that simple, and, if done incorrectly, you may not be able to function properly with your denture, and further problems may occur.

The repair should be performed by a licensed dentist who has the proper care, skill, knowledge and expertise to evaluate the problem and correct it. The dentist should examine your mouth and teeth, along with the denture, to determine the cause of the fracture and to advise you of conditions that may have contributed to the fracture. You may also be advised of the potential for refracture of your denture, even with a careful repair.

You can seriously damage your dentures and harm your health by trying to adjust or repair your dentures. A denture that is not made to fit properly can cause irritation and sores.

See your dentist if your dentures break, crack, chip, or if one of the teeth becomes loose. A dentist can often make the necessary adjustments or repairs on the same day. A person who lacks the proper training will not be able to reconstruct the denture. This can cause greater damage to the denture and may cause problems in your mouth. Glue sold over-the-counter often contains harmful chemicals and should not be used on dentures.

Continue Learning about Dentures