Why does my dentist leave the room when taking x-rays?

Rita Medwid
Dentist
All professionals taking x-rays leave the room, whether it is an x-ray of a tooth, chest, leg, or any other hard structure. The amount of radiation in of itself is not harmful, but doing that several times day, will add up after a few years. Although, still nothing harmful may happen, it is safe to be cautious.
If your dentist or dental staff member does not leave the room or stand behind a barrier when they take dental x-rays, he or she will be exposed to radiation many times a day. Although the amount of radiation he or she receives each time is quite small, over time it could add up to a large amount.

Continue Learning about Oral Health

A Health Drink for Your Teeth
A Health Drink for Your Teeth
Which is better for your teeth—orange juice or tea? Turns out that OJ ranks right up there with soda in terms of its enamel-damaging potential. But t...
If I have experienced abuse in the past, will I be afraid of the dentist?
Research suggests that fears of dentistry can be associated with adult trauma or childhood trauma su...
7 Steps to a Beautiful Smile
7 Steps to a Beautiful Smile7 Steps to a Beautiful Smile7 Steps to a Beautiful Smile7 Steps to a Beautiful Smile
Get a gorgeous grin with these simple tips from leading dentists.
Floss Your Teeth to Prevent Heart Disease