question

What could cause a salty taste in my mouth?

RealAge
RealAge
answer
You could have a salty taste in your mouth from medications you are taking or from a condition doctors call dysgeusia, which is an abnormal taste that won’t go away. Fortunately, many of the common causes of dysgeusia -- such as a common cold, flu, strep throat, or sinus infections -- are temporary, and the symptoms eventually go away. Check with your doctor if the salty taste doesn't go away, and ask your pharmacist about side effects of any prescribed or over-the-counter medications you take.

Continue Learning about Oral Health

4 Ways to Cope With Dental Fears
4 Ways to Cope With Dental Fears
If you dread going to the dentist, you’re not alone. More than half of all people in the United States don’t see a dentist for regular dental care, an...
Three Herbs That Sweeten Your Breath
Three Herbs That Sweeten Your Breath
Can't stand the sting of mouthwash, but want sweeter breath? Set down the Scope, and pick up a pinch of one of these herbs instead: parsley, basil, or...
Why would the inside of my mouth have areas of grey and black?
Why would the inside of my mouth have areas of grey and black? The most likely source of the problem...
8 Things Your Breath Reveals About Your Health
8 Things Your Breath Reveals About Your Health 8 Things Your Breath Reveals About Your Health 8 Things Your Breath Reveals About Your Health 8 Things Your Breath Reveals About Your Health
Stop throwing mints at the problem—find out what's causing your bad breath.  By Rose Hayes Your breath can tell a lot about your health, from clues ...