What could cause a salty taste in my mouth?

A salty taste in the mouth is most commonly due to dehydration as the saliva becomes more salty tasting. You should immediately hydrate by drinking a copious quantity of water. Other causes for a salty mouth can range from a post-nasal drip to throat cancer and should be brought to the attention of your dentist and physician. 

You could have a salty taste in your mouth from medications you are taking or from a condition doctors call dysgeusia, which is an abnormal taste that won’t go away. Fortunately, many of the common causes of dysgeusia -- such as a common cold, flu, strep throat, or sinus infections -- are temporary, and the symptoms eventually go away. Check with your doctor if the salty taste doesn't go away, and ask your pharmacist about side effects of any prescribed or over-the-counter medications you take.

Continue Learning about Oral Health

Spittin’ Image
Spittin’ Image
Major League Baseball tried to ban chewing tobacco in 2011, but players like the Red Sox’ David Ortiz, and Giants’ pitchers Madison Bumgarner and Jake...
What will my dentist tell me about oral health care during my pregnancy?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
You dentist will tell you that with all the changing hormone levels that occur with pregnancy, this ...
7 Worst Foods for Tooth Enamel Loss
7 Worst Foods for Tooth Enamel Loss7 Worst Foods for Tooth Enamel Loss7 Worst Foods for Tooth Enamel Loss7 Worst Foods for Tooth Enamel Loss
Find out the worst foods for tooth enamel loss and acid erosion in teeth.
How Can I Help Someone Get Over a Fear of Going to the Dentist?