Oral Health

What could cause a salty taste in my mouth?

• ARealAge answered
    You could have a salty taste in your mouth from medications you are taking or from a condition doctors call dysgeusia, which is an abnormal taste that won’t go away. Fortunately, many of the common causes of dysgeusia -- such as a common cold, flu, strep throat, or sinus infections -- are temporary, and the symptoms eventually go away. Check with your doctor if the salty taste doesn't go away, and ask your pharmacist about side effects of any prescribed or over-the-counter medications you take.
  • ADr. Gerry Curatola, DDS, Dentist, answered

A salty taste in the mouth is most commonly due to dehydration as the saliva becomes more salty tasting. You should immediately hydrate by drinking a copious quantity of water. Other causes for a salty mouth can range from a post-nasal drip to throat cancer and should be brought to the attention of your dentist and physician. 

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
Could nerve damage happen in my face when a wisdom tooth is removed?