Is heartburn related to having missing teeth (edentulism)?

Heartburn has only an indirect relationship to edentulism (missing teeth). Both heartburn (a burning sensation in the chest) and dental erosion (in which the enamel of the teeth dissolves) can be caused by gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). In this disease, acid from the stomach comes up into the throat and mouth. In the mouth it can dissolve teeth, which can eventually weaken them to the extent that they must be removed.

Continue Learning about Oral Health

Americans Need to Brush Up on Dental Knowledge
As a dentist, part of my role is to help people take good care of their dental health. As it turns out, I have my work cut out for me. The American De...
What can cause oral health problems in older adults?
Anne FabinyAnne Fabiny
Good dental care is often neglected in older adults. That's because many older adults do not have de...
7 Worst Foods for Tooth Enamel Loss
7 Worst Foods for Tooth Enamel Loss7 Worst Foods for Tooth Enamel Loss7 Worst Foods for Tooth Enamel Loss7 Worst Foods for Tooth Enamel Loss
Find out the worst foods for tooth enamel loss and acid erosion in teeth.
How to Brush With Charcoal Toothpaste
How to Brush With Charcoal Toothpaste