Is heartburn related to having missing teeth (edentulism)?

Heartburn has only an indirect relationship to edentulism (missing teeth). Both heartburn (a burning sensation in the chest) and dental erosion (in which the enamel of the teeth dissolves) can be caused by gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). In this disease, acid from the stomach comes up into the throat and mouth. In the mouth it can dissolve teeth, which can eventually weaken them to the extent that they must be removed.

Continue Learning about Oral Health

Spittin’ Image
Spittin’ Image
Major League Baseball tried to ban chewing tobacco in 2011, but players like the Red Sox’ David Ortiz, and Giants’ pitchers Madison Bumgarner and Jake...
Should I see a dentist about my oral health problems?
Dr. Julie P. Cho, DMDDr. Julie P. Cho, DMD
Absolutely.  "Oral health problems" may include sensitivity, cavities, gum disease, oral cancer, mal...
7 Surprising Ways You Discolor Your Teeth
7 Surprising Ways You Discolor Your Teeth7 Surprising Ways You Discolor Your Teeth7 Surprising Ways You Discolor Your Teeth7 Surprising Ways You Discolor Your Teeth
Your taste buds may enjoy red wine, but your teeth tell another story.
Eat Fish for Healthier Teeth
Eat Fish for Healthier Teeth