How many dental specialties are there?

Currently there are nine dental specialties recognized by the American Dental Association as meeting the Requirements for Recognition of Dental Specialties and National Certifying Boards for Dental Specialists. As part of the specialty recognition process, applicants must complete an Application for Specialty Recognition.

Dental specialties are recognized by the Association to protect the public, nurture the art and science of dentistry, and improve the quality of care. Specialties are recognized in those areas where advanced knowledge and skills are essential to maintain or restore oral health.

Continue Learning about Oral Health

Dental Dos and Don'ts
Dental Dos and Don'ts
A walk by the shelves of toothpaste at your local drugstore shows that having whiter, healthier teeth is a 21st-century obsession. And ironically, ev...
What is a healthy pH for saliva?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Acids and carbohydrates in the food you eat can directly and indirectly lead to breakdown of the min...
7 Surprising Ways You Discolor Your Teeth
7 Surprising Ways You Discolor Your Teeth7 Surprising Ways You Discolor Your Teeth7 Surprising Ways You Discolor Your Teeth7 Surprising Ways You Discolor Your Teeth
Your taste buds may enjoy red wine, but your teeth tell another story.
How Can I Help Someone Get Over a Fear of Going to the Dentist?