Can I avoid oral problems as my hormone levels shift?

There are certain times in a woman’s life when her hormone levels will shift significantly. Oral health issues often accompany these hormone shifts, common prior to menstruation and during menopause. However, you can lower your risk of gum disease and other complications during these phases by simply practicing good oral hygiene. This means brushing your teeth effectively twice a day for at least two minutes with fluoride toothpaste and flossing once a day as well. You should also schedule regular dental visits to make sure your teeth and gums are healthy. Be aware that even if you take great care of your teeth, you may still experience some oral discomfort as hormone levels shift inside your body. It should subside as your hormone levels rebalance.

Continue Learning about Oral Health

What could cause a salty taste in my mouth?
Gerald P. Curatola, DDSGerald P. Curatola, DDS
A salty taste in the mouth is most commonly due to dehydration as the saliva becomes more salty tast...
How does my lifestyle affect my oral health?
Lifestyle can affect oral health in many ways. If you tend to eat foods high in sugar, you may be at...
Why is the pH in my mouth important?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
You might remember from high school chemistry that pH is a measure of acidity or alkalinity, ranging...
How can I relieve my facial pain?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you are experiencing facial pain, talk to your dentist about how to treat it. Watch as Dr. Maria ...