Can I pick my own dentist with dental insurance?

Sometimes. It depends on what type of dental insurance you have. Fee for service dental insurance plans (like direct reimbursement) give you the freedom to choose any dentist; however, managed care plans (like PPOs and DHMOs) give you a list of “approved” dentists to choose from. While you may have a long list of dentists to choose from, you are still limited to a specific list.

So, contact your dental plan benefits administrator to find out what type of plan you have and if there is a list of dentists you should consult before making an appointment.

Continue Learning about Dental Insurance Plans

Does my dental insurance cover me if I get treatment outside the country?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Some dental insurance plans may not cover you if you are treated in a foreign country. Watch Dr....
What is a direct reimbursement (DR) dental plan?
Direct Reimbursement (DR) is a self-funded dental benefits plan that reimburses patients accordi...
What is a PPO dental plan?
Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) programs are dental plans under which patients select a de...
What is fee for service dental insurance?
Fee for service dental insurance can be summed up in three words: freedom of choice. Direct reimburs...