How long have dental implants been around?

The development and use of implants is one of the biggest advances in dentistry in the past 40 years. 

If you are self-conscious because you have missing teeth, wear dentures that are uncomfortable or don't want to have good tooth structure removed to make a bridge, talk to your dentist to see if dental implants are an option for you.

Sanda M. Moldovan, DDS
Periodontics

Titanium dental implants were created as a result of an accidental discovery during a laboratory experiment by professor Branemark in Sweden in the 1960s. He concluded that titanium integrates perfectly with living bone. The first dental implants were placed in 1969 on a patient who never developed a permanent set of teeth. He still had all his implants 40 years later. A lot of research went into perfecting the system and now it is the best solution to replace a missing tooth.

Dental implants have been used since ancient Egypt, where gold wire was used, and ancient Rome, where iron implants were used. But dental implant technology has come a long way to ensure comfort, health, and success. Modern dental implants began at the beginning of the 20th century but became common in the 1980s. New materials, methods, and success rates have been seen in just the past 20 years. There is every reason to believe that dental implants will continue to get better.

Continue Learning about Dental Implant

What is dental peri-implant mucositis?
Dr. Anthony SclarDr. Anthony Sclar
Peri-implant mucositis is an inflammation that is limited to the soft tissues surrounding a dental ...
Are dental implants right for me?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you are interested in dental implants, it's a good idea to discuss it carefully with your dentist...
How does my dentist evaluate me for dental implants?
When considering dental implants, a patient's health is more of a factor than age. Those patients wh...
What different things can dental implants do?
There are many benefits to receiving dental implants. Implants fuse with the jawbone, offering firm ...