How do I know if I am a good candidate for dental implants?

If you are interested in dental implants, it's a good idea to discuss it carefully with your dentist first. If you are in good general health, with a jawbone that can support an implant, this treatment may be an option for you. In fact, your health is more of a factor than your age. Patients should be medically evaluated before any implant surgery is scheduled. Patients either must have enough bone to support the implant, or be good candidates for surgery to build up the bone where the implant will be placed.

Chronic illnesses, such as diabetes or leukemia, may interfere with healing after surgery. Patients with these issues may not be good candidates for implants. Using tobacco can also slow healing.

Your general dentist, along with an implant specialist, will determine whether you're a good candidate for implants. Generally you must be in good health and maintain good oral hygiene. There should also be adequate bone in area needing implant and no adjacent anatomical interference exists, i.e. sinus or nerve.

Consult your dentist about whether you are a good candidate for dental implants. Dental implants may be an option for you whether you have lost one, several, or even all of your teeth, as long as you are healthy overall, your gums are strong and disease-free, and you have enough jaw bone to support dental implants. Your commitment to good oral hygiene may be another factor that your dentist considers. The success of your implant procedures will depend at least in part on how well you care for your new teeth and gums and how carefully your dentist monitors the health of your mouth.

Continue Learning about Dental Implant

How soon can I return to work after getting dental implants?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Some discomfort following the placement of a dental implant is normal, but most people should be abl...
What are subperiosteal implants?
Dr. Benjamin S Fiss DDSDr. Benjamin S Fiss DDS
A subperiosteal implant is placed onto the bone rather than into the bone, similar to a saddle. This...
Will a dental implant procedure be painful?
Although discomfort varies from person to person, most patients say it was much less discomfort than...
Are implants better than bridges?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
In some cases, an implant may be a better option than a permanent bridge (a series of joined crowns)...