How do I know if I am a good candidate for dental implants?

Your general dentist, along with an implant specialist, will determine whether you're a good candidate for implants. Generally you must be in good health and maintain good oral hygiene. There should also be adequate bone in area needing implant and no adjacent anatomical interference exists, i.e. sinus or nerve.

If you are interested in dental implants, it's a good idea to discuss it carefully with your dentist first. If you are in good general health, with a jawbone that can support an implant, this treatment may be an option for you. In fact, your health is more of a factor than your age. Patients should be medically evaluated before any implant surgery is scheduled. Patients either must have enough bone to support the implant, or be good candidates for surgery to build up the bone where the implant will be placed.

Chronic illnesses, such as diabetes or leukemia, may interfere with healing after surgery. Patients with these issues may not be good candidates for implants. Using tobacco can also slow healing.
Consult your dentist about whether you are a good candidate for dental implants. Dental implants may be an option for you whether you have lost one, several, or even all of your teeth, as long as you are healthy overall, your gums are strong and disease-free, and you have enough jaw bone to support dental implants. Your commitment to good oral hygiene may be another factor that your dentist considers. The success of your implant procedures will depend at least in part on how well you care for your new teeth and gums and how carefully your dentist monitors the health of your mouth.

Continue Learning about Dental Implant

What oral care do I need if I have dental implants?
Jennifer G. Robb, DMDJennifer G. Robb, DMD
If you have a mix of natural teeth and dental implants, you will want to see your dentist at least t...
How much do dental implants cost?
Dr. Saul N. Miller, DDSDr. Saul N. Miller, DDS
The cost of placement of dental implants may vary depending on such things as manufacturer of the im...
How many dental implants can be placed in my mouth?
Randall D. Stastny, DMDRandall D. Stastny, DMD
The short answer is 32, one for every tooth that you had. The long answer is that you probably do no...
Are implants better than dentures?
Peggy RosenPeggy Rosen
Yes, dental implants is better than dentures. Here are the reasons:Implants feel and look more natur...