Are dental implants right for me?

If you are interested in dental implants, it's a good idea to discuss it carefully with your dentist first. If you are in good general health, with a jawbone that can support an implant, this treatment may be an option for you. In fact, your health is more of a factor than your age. Patients should be medically evaluated before any implant surgery is scheduled. Patients either must have enough bone to support the implant, or be good candidates for surgery to build up the bone where the implant will be placed.

Chronic illnesses, such as diabetes or leukemia, may interfere with healing after surgery. Patients with these issues may not be good candidates for implants. Using tobacco can also slow healing.
Dental implants -- metal posts that attach to artificial teeth -- are a popular way to replace missing teeth without damaging your existing teeth. Dental implants can also strengthen the bone in your mouth where teeth have been lost. Anyone who wants or needs dental implants may be able to get them regardless of age or medical history. Even if you have osteoporosis, a condition that causes thinning bones, you can still get dental implants. Other medical conditions should not prevent you from getting dental implants.
Stephen P. Simpson, DDS
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics

It is VERY important to pose this question to all of the dental professionals involved in your treatment BEFORE initiating implant treatment. There may be factors related to tooth position, bone density and/or health, and, most importantly, patient expectations, that need to be discussed before beginning this process. All of the dentists involved in your care should evaluate you prior to and during the process to insure that the final restorative results are optimal.

If you are missing one or more teeth and would like to restore your ability to smile, speak and eat with comfort and confidence, then dental implants may be right for you.

Perhaps your dentures don't fit as securely or comfortably as they once did. Perhaps you hide your smile because of spaces from missing teeth. Or, perhaps you have loose teeth that need to be stabilized after treatment of advanced gum disease.

If any of these situations keep you from feeling good about yourself and your smile, dental implants may be a solution for you. Technological advancements in dental materials and techniques have improved the success rate of implants, enabling many patients to enjoy comfort and confidence in their oral health.

Continue Learning about Dental Implant

What can cause dental implants to fail?
Yasaman S. Roland, DDSYasaman S. Roland, DDS
Sometimes if you have poor oral hygiene and periodontal disease that is not under control, implants ...
Can I get dental implants if I don't have teeth?
Arnold I. Liebman, DDSArnold I. Liebman, DDS
Dental implants are for patients without teeth. You can relate them to an artificial root that is st...
What is involved in getting a dental implant?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
When getting a dental implant, the dentist will use local anesthesia to numb the surgical area. In m...
What are subperiosteal implants?
Subperiosteal implants are dental implants made out of a metal framework. This metal frame is at...