Will a dental implant procedure be painful?

As someone who has had one, let me put in my two cents! The procedure did not hurt at all. The surgeon anesthetized the area the same as for a filling, but a few more shots. Then he drilled a hole in the bone for the implant and screwed it in. I actually almost fell asleep until he started screwing it in. It was under 30 minutes, and I walked out of there and went back to work. That afternoon, it was a bit sore, and I took ibuprofen three times a day, and it was all I needed for the next few days. In addition to the implant, I had a sinus lift and bone graft at the same time, and I wasn't even aware he was doing that. Then for a few weeks, I had to be careful brushing near the area so that I didn't brush the tissue around the implant. 

George J. Hadeed, DMD
Prosthodontics

As the other answers describe, you should have minimal to no pain. Most patients are back at work the same day and are surprised by the ease of the procedure. If, however, you are having extensive bone grafting and sinus elevation surgery in preparation for dental implants, your surgeon may be using an in office anesthesiogist for IV sedation. In this case, you may not be permitted to drive for 24 hours and you may require a very mild pain medication for 24 hours. Each individual’s reaction is different but from experience, most patients have little to no discomfort.

You can expect to feel some pain when receiving a dental implant. However, people who undergo the procedure often say that having a tooth removed is more painful. A dental implant requires that your dentist make incisions in your gums. You will receive local anesthesia to numb your mouth during the procedure. Your dentist may also offer you pain medicine before starting the procedure, and will give you a prescription for pain relievers when it is done.

Although discomfort varies from person to person, most patients say it was much less discomfort than they thought it would be. During the surgical procedure, you will be given an anesthetic, so you will feel little or no discomfort. The implanting surgeon uses gentle techniques, and because he or she is working in a clean environment, there is little chance for infection. If you follow all postoperative instructions and take the required antibiotics, there is minimal discomfort. All patients are given pain medications, but many don't use them.

Continue Learning about Dental Implant