Will a dental implant procedure be painful?

As someone who has had one, let me put in my two cents! The procedure did not hurt at all. The surgeon anesthetized the area the same as for a filling, but a few more shots. Then he drilled a hole in the bone for the implant and screwed it in. I actually almost fell asleep until he started screwing it in. It was under 30 minutes, and I walked out of there and went back to work. That afternoon, it was a bit sore, and I took ibuprofen three times a day, and it was all I needed for the next few days. In addition to the implant, I had a sinus lift and bone graft at the same time, and I wasn't even aware he was doing that. Then for a few weeks, I had to be careful brushing near the area so that I didn't brush the tissue around the implant. 

You can expect to feel some pain when receiving a dental implant. However, people who undergo the procedure often say that having a tooth removed is more painful. A dental implant requires that your dentist make incisions in your gums. You will receive local anesthesia to numb your mouth during the procedure. Your dentist may also offer you pain medicine before starting the procedure, and will give you a prescription for pain relievers when it is done.

Continue Learning about Dental Implant

how many dental implants can be placed in my mouth ?
The number of dental implants will depend on your exact needs, but it is possible to replace ev...
what is a dental implant ?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
A dental implant is much like a natural tooth, which has a root in your jawbone, topped by a cro...
does insurance cover the cost of dental implants ?
Insurance does not always cover the cost of dental implants. Some dental insurance plans exclude...
what types of dental implants are available ?
The three most common types of dental implants available today are root-form implants; subperios...