Why may I need dental fillings?

A dental filling, which may be placed with a variety of materials, restores a fractured, chipped, decayed and sometimes worn tooth. When a tooth has extensive deterioration, a large filling can restore the tooth but not necessarily keep the weak areas from fracturing. Some materials are best used in specific situations, and not all materials work well in all situations.

When the tooth is extensively broken down, often a crown may be indicated to provide a more secure restoration that can help to prevent fracture and further breakdown of tooth structure.
A dental filling is needed when you have a cavity. Tooth decay creates a cavity, which is a hole in your tooth. To stop this hole from expanding and spreading the decay, it is necessary to fill this hole with a filling. Fillings can be made from a number of materials.

Continue Learning about Dental Fillings

What is the purpose of dental fillings?
William M. Litaker Jr., DDSWilliam M. Litaker Jr., DDS
Dental fillings are used to treat cavities. The filling replaces the decayed area of the tooth allow...
How is a dental inlay or onlay fitted?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
During the first visit, the dentist prepares the tooth by removing the old filling or decay. The...
How can I prevent problems with my fillings?
As hard and permanent as fillings appear on the outside, there is always the chance that the filling...
What are the benefits of amalgam tooth fillings?
There are several benefits to amalgam tooth fillings. First they can be used in difficult to get to ...