What tooth fractures are most serious?

The ones that render the tooth non-savable.

If the fracture is very far below the gumline or splits the tooth in half, that will indicate a non-savable tooth.

If the fracture is just below the gumline, there may be a good chance of saving the tooth.
Tooth fractures can involve the root, crown, or both. In more serious cases, the pulp may be exposed. See a dentist immediately;take any tooth fragments to the dentist.

Less serious fractures are small cracks in the enamel. Sometimes, these small fractures do not cause pain or sensitivity, but they may  become larger. This is why seeing your dentist regularly is important, since he or she can detect small fractures while they are still small.

Continue Learning about Dental Emergency

How to Deal with 4 Common Dental Emergencies
Whether your idea of vacation fun is sun and sandcastles, city slicking or sleeping under the stars, dental emergencies can happen anywhere. Here’s ho...
What dental emergencies can happen at home?
Accidents can happen anywhere, even at home. Because children tend to be accident prone, they sh...
Can swimming lead to a dental emergency?
According to some dentists, swimming pools are the number-one cause of dental emergencies. Accid...
What should I do if I crack my tooth?
If you crack your tooth, here are some important steps for emergency management: Rinse your mout...