Dental Emergency

How do I know if I need treatment for a toothache?

• A answered
    You should think about getting your achy tooth looked at by a dentist if the pain has lasted for several days, is severe (for instance, you aren't eating normally because of the amount of pain you're in), or if you have a fever or other symptoms. Severe pain, especially when it comes with a fever, suggests that maybe a tooth infection is the cause of your pain, and this problem needs to be treated right away.

However, even if your pain is fairly mild, or only happens when you eat certain things, you should have a dentist look at your teeth. Mild pain may be happening because a cavity is forming, and getting a cavity filled earlier rather than later will lower your risk of more severe pain, and even tooth loss.
What could happen if I choose not to treat a toothache?