Does insurance cover treatment for a cracked tooth?

Yes, no and maybe.

It depends on the treatment necessary for the problem. There are times when root canal treatment and a crown may be necessary. Usually insurance plans cover fillings and root canal treatment at the benefit level they allow for basic services. Crowns, if covered, may be considered under basic or major categories. There may be a deductible and copay with the amount determined by the insurance contract. Also, some plans may only cover diagnostic and preventive services. In addition, there is often an additional copay for a tooth colored composite restoration in the posterior areas due to plan limitations. Annual maximums, frequency limitations and other restrictions may also affect coverage.

As with many dental services when you have a dental plan, it is often best to predetermine treatment for an estimate of your out-of-pocket costs.

Continue Learning about Dental Emergency

Is losing a filling or crown a dental emergency?
Philip M. Uffer, DDSPhilip M. Uffer, DDS
I usually let the patient tell me ;) If they are in pain or they are self-conscious about it then...
Can I prevent my child swimmer from having a dental emergency?
Teach your children to follow the rules of the pool: No running near the swimming pool No divi...
Why is cellulitis a dental emergency?
Cellulitis is inflammation that has spread to the surrounding  soft tissues of the mouth. It is a ...
Can problems with wisdom teeth become a dental emergency?
Perisoronitis is an inflammatory condition that affects partially erupted wisdom teeth. Pericoroni...