Are tiny cracks in my teeth a dental emergency?

Tiny cracks in teeth are usually not a dental emergency unless they are causing pain. Although a small amount of pain might be tolerable, it can increase if the crack becomes  bigger. Cracks can also create places for bacteria to grow, causing a cavity. This is why seeing a dentist frequently is so important. The best way for a dentist to detect a crack is upon visual examination, since some cracks are not visible on X-rays.

Continue Learning about Dental Emergency

Can problems with wisdom teeth become a dental emergency?
Perisoronitis is an inflammatory condition that affects partially erupted wisdom teeth. Pericoroni...
What is tooth luxation?
William M. Litaker Jr., DDSWilliam M. Litaker Jr., DDS
A tooth luxation is when a tooth has been pushed out of place. This is the result of trauma from a f...
How can I tell if teeth are cracked?
It is difficult to detect cracks in your teeth. Many people have cracked teeth and do not know i...
What sort of dentist handles dental emergencies?
Ali Attaie, DDSAli Attaie, DDS
All dentists are trained to handle dental emergencies, however there are a wide range dental and fac...