What increases my risk for dengue fever?

Your risk for dengue fever increases when you travel to tropical areas and if you have previously been infected with the virus. Travel to South Asia, Central and South America, or any subtropical area, any time of the year will increase your risk of being infected.

If you have previously recovered from dengue fever, antibodies to the virus will be left in your system. Instead of making it less likely that the disease will affect you again, the dengue fever antibodies can make your reaction to the disease more severe if you are infected a second time.

Continue Learning about Dengue Fever

Is dengue fever serious?
Dengue fever is uncomfortable but not serious. It is the mildest disease caused by the dengue vi...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with dengue fever?
When caring for someone with dengue fever, make sure they stay hydrated, rest, and take acetaminophe...
Does dengue fever affect children differently than adults?
Dengue fever affects children differently than adults because symptoms of dengue fever are usually m...
What are the treatment options for dengue fever?
The best treatment for dengue fever is acetaminophen to treat the pain and fever and plenty of fluid...