Why is grilling vegetables healthy?

Grilling vegetables is generally healthier because it does not involve frying in oil or other unhealthy substances. It is most similar to baking. The vegetables themselves are healthy, and unlike cooking meat on an open flame, there should be no concern about creating hazardous substances from fat dripping into the open flame.
Bryce B. Wylde
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
Grilling vegetables is an excellent way to get your family closer to, or sufficient in, the recommended optimal level of seven servings per day. In fact, grilling (without burning) your vegetables helps to release enzymes in the vegetable, which naturally increases its oxygen radical absorbance capacity (ORAC value). ORAC is also known as the antioxidant level of that vegetable. Where this is not true for all vegetables (such as green leafy ones), lightly grilled peppers, onions, tomatoes, and the like that you would typically include in a vegetable kabob have a higher antioxidant value compared to their raw equivalents.

Continue Learning about Cooking & Health

How Do I Avoid the Health Hazards of Grilling?
When Bear Grylls is taping his TV show Running Wild, he and his celebrity co-adventurers have to prepare a cook-what-you-can-find meal under the most ...
What are the ways in which I can serve bananas?
Marisa MooreMarisa Moore
Portable and nutritious, bananas can be enjoyed in many ways. Carry bananas in your purse or bag for...
How should I eat garbanzo beans?
Vandana  R. ShethVandana R. Sheth
Chickpeas or Garbanzo beans are a wonderful source of plant protein. Here are some of my favorite wa...
Do People Realize the Extent of the Diabetes Epidemic?