How do I make a healthy St. Patrick's Day meal?

You can fix up a traditional St. Patrick's Day meal while maintaining a healthful eating plan. Here are tasty tips for preparing a healthy Irish feast:
  • For corned beef, purchase the leanest brisket possible and trim off any extra fat before cooking. Also rinse with water to remove the brine.
  • Prepare mashed potatoes with low-fat or fat-free sour cream and milk in place of butter. Season to taste with garlic and onion powders and pepper.
  • Steam vegetables to maintain as many vitamins and nutrients as possible.
  • Serve corned beef on whole-wheat bread with reduced-fat Swiss cheese. Mix low-fat or fat-free mayonnaise with horseradish for a tasty condiment.
If you just can't part with traditional, higher-calorie ingredients, eat a lighter meal earlier in the day, eat smaller portions and get some physical activity to burn some calories.

Continue Learning about Cooking & Health

Cheat Sheet for Low-Sodium Cooking
Cheat Sheet for Low-Sodium Cooking
Follow this quick checklist of sodium-slashing food-prep ideas every time you make a meal and you could be enjoying better blood pressure before you k...
What is a healthy substitute for sugar in recipes?
If you're looking to cut back on sugar, there's a simple way to halve the amount you use to bake coo...
How can I enjoy preparing and sharing food?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
Rediscover the authentic joy of preparing and sharing food by choosing to be in the kitchen, not jus...
Kitchen Tools
Kitchen Tools