How can indulging help reduce cravings?

Marjorie Nolan Cohn

Sometimes cravings pass and sometimes they don’t. Many studies have shown that when someone doesn’t “indulge” in a food that they are craving the craving continues, and tends to grow. This often leads to overeating, even binging. When you eat a reasonable portion of the food you’re craving you can, in essence, reduce the craving. But not denying yourself the foods you crave, you will psychologically cultivate a healthy relationship with food.

Continue Learning about Controlling Appetite

Control Your Appetite with Repetition
Control Your Appetite with Repetition
Want a simple, no-frills trick for cutting back on calories? Repeat yourself. That is, repeat your meals and practice habitual eating. Research shows...
How can I avoid nighttime food cravings?
Keri GansKeri Gans
One simple fix: If you typically eat dinner early—say, by 6 or 6:30 p.m.—but stay up until midni...
How can chewing gum help curb my appetite?
You could crush that three p.m. cookie craving just by chewing a little of this -- gum. That's ...
What Is the Difference Between Hunger and Cravings?