When should I see a doctor about constipation?

The frequency of bowel movements among healthy people varies from three movements a day to three a week. Individuals must determine what is normal for them. As a rule, constipation is suspected if more than three days pass between bowel movements, or if there is difficulty or pain when passing a hardened stool.

It is best to see an internist or gastroenterologist to evaluate these symptoms.

Continue Learning about Constipation

Get the Scoop on Poop for Constipation Relief
Feel like you're spending more time in the bathroom than any other room in your house? You're not alone. The average adult spends 8 to 16 days a year...
What can I do to help my child with constipation?
Dr. Lynne KenneyDr. Lynne Kenney
Increasing magnesium consumption can improve pooping for our little one’s who are living’ on the “st...
Is constipation in children serious?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Several factors may cause children to become constipated, most of which are not dangerous. These may...
The Fiber Solution for Chronic Constipation