In constipation, intestinal processes are slowed down for various reasons. If left untreated, constipation causes fecal matter to build up in the large intestine and rectum. This mostly causes discomfort, though it may also cause you to feel abdominal pain and a feeling of sluggishness.
- Q Should I be worried about constipation and diarrhea?
- Q What is constipation-predominant irritable bowel syndrome (C-IBS)?
- Q Is acute constipation serious?
- Q Should I be tested for acute constipation?
- Q When should I see a doctor about constipation?
- Q Can constipation occur more than once?