What should I do after a sealing and root planning treatment?

After a scaling and root planing treatment (SRP) is the perfect time to use a prescription fluoride toothpaste to remineralize your roots and teeth. Remineralizing your teeth will make them less sensitive to cold and more resistant to tooth decay. Typically, after an SRP, your teeth are very cold-sensitive, so this is something you would want to do anyway to prevent any discomfort. You can return to your regular routine and brush and floss normally -- unless you had antibiotics placed in the pockets, in which case you have to wait (ask your dentist how long). 
Dietary restriction, special oral rinses, and home care after this procedure must be followed to provide successful results. To ensure continued health, these patients should be seen four times per year for cleanings and exams to ensure patient compliance and tissue health.

Continue Learning about Common Dental Procedures

How can I avoid pain during teeth cleaning at the dentist?
Dr. Devon V. Berry, DMDDr. Devon V. Berry, DMD
Dental cleanings should not be painful. If you are experiencing pain during your cleaning, tell your...
How long do dental sealants last?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Dental sealants (a plastic material that is applied to a chewing surface of a back tooth) may la...
When is tooth recontouring necessary?
Recontouring is a cosmetic dental technique that can improve minor imperfections in the appearan...
Is Teeth Whitening Safe?
Is Teeth Whitening Safe?