What happens after a colonoscopy?

After your colonoscopy, you will be monitored until most of the effects of the sedatives have worn off. You might have some cramping or bloating because of the air introduced into the colon during the examination. This should disappear quickly when you pass gas. Your physician will explain the results of the examination to you, although you'll probably have to wait for the results of any biopsies performed.

If you have been given sedatives during the procedure, someone must drive you home and stay with you. Even if you feel alert after the procedure, your judgment and reflexes could be impaired for the rest of the day. You should be able to eat after the examination, but your doctor might restrict your diet and activities, especially after polypectomy (polyp removal). Your doctor will advise you on this.

Continue Learning about Colonoscopy

Can I take my medications before a colonoscopy?
American Society for Gastrointestinal EndoscopyAmerican Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
Most medications can be continued as usual if you're getting a colonoscopy, but some medications can...
How does a colonoscopy differ from a flexible sigmoidoscopy?
Eric Changchien, MDEric Changchien, MD
The difference between a colonoscopy and a sigmoidoscopy is location. In this video, Eric Changchien...
When Should I Have a Colonoscopy?
When Should I Have a Colonoscopy?
Why Do I Need a Colonoscopy Every 10 Years?