If I have colon cancer, will I need a colostomy?

Not everyone with colon cancer needs a colostomy. In fact, most patients don’t need a colostomy after surgery. Surgical techniques have improved, and now we can frequently remove the tumor and reattach the intestine without requiring a colostomy. Or it may only be necessary for two or three months while the patient is healing. There are still some instances where a colostomy is required, based on the anatomy and the stage of the tumor.

Continue Learning about Colon Cancer Treatment

What is a laparoscopic colon resection?
Southern Hills HospitalSouthern Hills Hospital
Laparoscopic colon resection removes a part of colon through the smallest incision possible. The pro...
What are the treatment options for colon cancer?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Surgery is the most common treatment for colon cancer. Minor surgery may be able to remove all of th...
Is Colon Cancer Curable?
Is Colon Cancer Curable?
How Common is Relapse after Surgery for Colon Cancer?