How should I drink caffeine if I want to lose weight?

Dr. Andrea Pennington, MD
Integrative Medicine
If you insist on drinking caffeinated beverages like colas or coffee, then increase your water consumption by at least 1 and a half times the amount of the caffeine you drink. Caffeine is a diuretic -- meaning it makes you excrete water in your urine. The water you lose from caffeinated beverages needs to be replaced. So for every twelve ounce caffeinated soda you drink, add another 12 to 18 ounces of water to your intake regimen. The same holds true for alcoholic beverages, since alcohol is an even more potent diuretic than caffeine.

Continue Learning about Coffee & Health

Stymie Blood Clots with a Cuppa This
Stymie Blood Clots with a Cuppa This
Go ahead, have that cup of coffee. Turns out a morning cup of joe could cut your risk of stroke. In a 10-year Swedish study, healthy women who drank ...
What are the health risks of too much caffeine?
Nicole Avena, PhDNicole Avena, PhD
Although caffeine is considered to be very safe, serious health risks like cardiovascular issues can...
What's the coffee-liver connection?
There seems to be a relationship between having two or more 8-ounce (300 mg or so of caffeine) cups ...
The Best Way to Make Cold Brew Coffee
The Best Way to Make Cold Brew Coffee