Why do I still have chest pain after my stent?

Linda Martinez
Cardiac Rehabilitation Specialist

Residual soreness of the chest immediately following a coronary stent procedure is common. If you are still experiencing chest pain after having a stent that is similar to the pain before your stent then there could be several reasons. One, the pain you are having wasn't caused by the blockage in your heart artery where the stent was placed. You could have some small blood vessels in the heart that have disease that could cause you pain, but not large enough to have a stent put in or the stent could be developing an obstruction. No matter what the reason, you need to see your heart doctor again to determine the reason.

Continue Learning about Heart and Circulatory System

What You Should Know About Heart Failure
In the United States alone, about 5.7 million adults have heart failure. Of these people, roughly 50 percent will die within five years of being diagn...
What is stenosis?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Stenosis is the narrowing of a blood vessel, heart valve, or other bodily passage. With a heart valv...
What causes lower extremity swelling?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Swelling in the lower leg can mean either possible chronic compartment syndrome of the lower leg...
Dr. Craig Smith - What Is an Off-Pump Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery?