question

What factors can affect maximum heart rate?

Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
answer
Your genes account for about 50% of your maximum heart rate (max HR). Smaller hearts beat faster than larger ones. And there are other factors. Your max HR is affected by altitude, drugs, and antihistamines. It cannot be increased by training, and a high max HR does not predict better performance. If you go to a gym and see the max HR charts, be cautious -- they aren't very accurate. Maximum heart rate is genetically determined; it doesn't necessarily decrease over time like those charts suggest. In fact, if you stay fit as you get older, your max HR may not change much at all.

Continue Learning about Heart and Circulatory System

Is It a Heart Attack, Cardiac Arrest or Heart Failure?
You've heard the terms—heart attack, cardiac arrest and heart failure—and each one signifies a heart health crisis, but the similarities might end the...
The Surprising Link Between Your Brain and Heart
What’s good for your heart may also be good for your brain and your mood. A report in the Gallup-Sharecare State of American Well-Being series measure...
Do You Need to See an Electrophysiologist?
A variety of problems can affect the heart’s size, shape and how well it’s able to function. These conditions range from high blood pressure and high ...
Why do I still have chest pain after my stent?
Why do I still have chest pain after my stent? Residual soreness of the chest immediately following ...