How often should I check my blood pressure at home?

Monitor your blood pressure at least 2 or 3 times a week, at different times of the day. When you're first diagnosed with high blood pressure (hypertension), you may be asked to take your blood pressure daily, sometimes even twice a day. Once your blood pressure becomes more stable, you can check it less often.

You should check your blood pressure at home at least once a day, three to five times a week. Two to three measurements a day would be ideal, but at least one, at different times of the day, is okay.

The morning blood pressure may be different than the afternoon blood pressure, which may be different than the evening blood pressure. Your doctor will want to see exactly what your blood pressure is and the time of day it is. You may be asked to keep a diary of that and bring it to the office visits so your doctor can keep track of your trends.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Continue Learning about Heart and Circulatory System

Work Hard, Play Hard Dangers
Work Hard, Play Hard Dangers
In the TV show Mad Men, “work hard, play hard” is touted as a virtue. Yet the characters are, well, slightly mad, an...
What causes your leg/foot to tingle and "fall asleep"?
Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RNKaren L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
When your leg/foot tingle and "fall asleep", they are experiencing a decrease in oxygen. The tissues...
What screenings should I get to determine my risk of heart disease?
To determine your risk of heart disease you should get screenings to measure your blood pressure, we...
How Does a Person Get a Hole in Their Heart?