What can happen if I don't take my blood pressure medicine?

Monique D. May, MD
Family Medicine
Treating high blood pressure prevents long-term consequences such as stroke, hypertension, heart attack, kidney and heart failure.  Hypertension is called the "silent killer" because it typically does not produce symptoms while it is taking a toll on your brain, eyes, heart, and kidneys.  Taking your medication daily keeps your pressure at the desired level, and reduces the amount of strain placed on your heart and kidneys.  Therefore, if you do not take your blood pressure as prescribed by your doctor, you run the risk of increasing your chances of suffering a stroke, heart attack or developing kidney failure, all of which greatly increase the risk of death and disability.

Continue Learning about Heart and Circulatory System

Heart and Circulatory System

Heart and Circulatory System

Your circulatory system is made up of your heart and three main types of blood vessels -- arteries, veins and capillaries. Your heart is at the center of the system, acting as a pump to distribute nutrient- and oxygen-rich blood t...

hrough your body; it then takes away carbon dioxide and other waste your body doesn't need. Signs of poor circulation include cold hands and feet, numbness, dizziness, migraines, varicose veins and pain in your feet or legs. Untreated, poor circulation can lead to stroke, high blood pressure, kidney damage and other diseases. Learn more about your heart and circulatory system with expert advice from Sharecare.