Do African Americans need to worry about their blood pressure?

It's important for everyone to check his or her blood pressure regularly and know his or her blood pressure numbers -- especially African Americans, who are at higher risk for developing high blood pressure. Further, they may develop high blood pressure at a younger age and find high blood pressure harder to control. In addition, African American adults have higher rates of early death from causes related to high blood pressure.

Taking steps now can prevent heart disease and stroke down the road -- for everyone.

Continue Learning about Heart and Circulatory System

Reach Out to Loved Ones for a Happy Heart
The record for the world’s longest-lasting marriage belongs to Herbert and Zelmyra Fisher, who were married for nearly 85 years before Herbert’s death...
What screenings should I get to determine my risk of heart disease?
To determine your risk of heart disease you should get screenings to measure your blood pressure, we...
What is aortic occlusive disease?
Dr. Brian G. Derubertis, MDDr. Brian G. Derubertis, MD
There are two main types of aortic occlusive disease. One type is vasculitis, which is an inflammato...
Dr. Craig Smith - What are the Risks Associated with LVADs?