What questions should I ask when I get my cholesterol tested?

When you get your cholesterol tested, be sure to ask for your low-density lipoprotein (LDL) and high-density lipoprotein (HDL) levels, your triglyceride level (you must fast for 8 hours before that one), and your inflammation number, or hs-CRP (your high-sensitivity C-reactive protein reading). The ratio of total cholesterol to HDL cholesterol is very important at all ages. The lower the ratio, the better. The average ratio for middle-aged Americans is 5. It is calculated by dividing total cholesterol by HDL. For example, if you have a total blood cholesterol of 200 and your HDL is 40, the ratio is 5 (200/40). On the other hand, if your total blood cholesterol is 200 but your HDL is 57, your ratio is 3.5. A fifty-five-year-old man with a ratio of 3.5 would have only about half the risk of arterial aging as the average man in his age group. (The ratio of 3.5 is the one that I try to help my patients achieve.) His RealAge (physiologic age) would be 8 years younger. In contrast, if that same man has a ratio of 9 (for example, 270 total/30 HDL), he has more than five times the risk of arterial aging as the average man in his age group. His RealAge would be twelve years older than average. Having a high LDL/HDL ratio can cause arterial aging.
The RealAge Makeover: Take Years off Your Looks and Add Them to Your Life

Why not live at 60 feeling like you did at 35?Thousands of Americans are younger today than they were five years ago. How is that possible? By following the specific recommendations that reverse...

Continue Learning about Cholesterol

Cholesterol Treatments You Need to Know About
About 78 million Americans have high cholesterol, but only about 55 percent of those are being treated for it. High cholesterol raises your risk for h...
Why is managing cholesterol levels good for heart health?
Suzanne Steinbaum, DOSuzanne Steinbaum, DO
A high level of the "bad" cholesterol, LDL, is associated with plaque development in the arteries, w...
6 Cholesterol Mistakes You're Probably Making
6 Cholesterol Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Cholesterol Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Cholesterol Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Cholesterol Mistakes You're Probably Making
The mistakes you make every day could be increasing your risk of heart disease.
Put Popcorn Back on the Healthy Snack List