How common is it to need to take a statin drug?

Statins are one of the nation's most-prescribed drugs: One in four Americans over 40 take the medication, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Health-related organizations, including the American Heart Association, recommend that anyone without cardiovascular disease who has a 7.5 percent or higher risk for a heart attack or stroke within the next 10 years should be prescribed statin drugs.

Continue Learning about Cholesterol

FDA Approves Two New Drugs to Treat High Cholesterol
About 95 million Americans have high cholesterol, but only about 55 percent of those are being treated for it. High cholesterol raises your risk for h...
How does high-density lipoprotein (HDL) affect my risk of heart disease?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
The more protective high-density lipoprotein (HDL) in your bloodstream, the lower your chances o...
What to Eat if...You Have High Cholesterol
What to Eat if...You Have High CholesterolWhat to Eat if...You Have High CholesterolWhat to Eat if...You Have High CholesterolWhat to Eat if...You Have High Cholesterol
Strawberries, avocados and other tasty foods that help keep your numbers in check.
What Foods Should I Eat to Lower My Cholesterol?