How does alcohol affect blood cholesterol?

The ethanol in booze, in all its forms (wine, beer, harder stuff) increases good HDL cholesterol, discourages blood clots, and keeps your arteries young. But moderation is the key -- that's no more than 1 drink per day for the ladies, 2 for the gents. One "drink" equals 5 ounces of wine, 12 ounces of beer, or 1.5 ounces (one shot) of 80-proof spirits. Sip more than that, and the health benefits of alcohol start to disappear.

Ozgen Dogan
It's generally believed that alcohol is beneficial to the heart. Alcohol increases good cholesterol (high-density lipoprotein (HDL)), but it also increases the ugly cholesterol (triglycerides), blood sugar and blood pressure. Excessive drinking may weaken the heart muscle. And because it stimulates the appetite, drinking before meals may lead to overeating and weight gain. Although alcohol has some positive health benefits, it can also have harmful effects. It shouldn't be used for the treatment of high cholesterol.

Continue Learning about Cholesterol

My Cholesterol Levels Are Up—Do I Need to Take a Statin?
Heart disease is the leading cause of death among adults in the United States, and high levels of unhealthy blood cholesterol can increase your risk o...
How does the body produce cholesterol?
For most of us, obesity influences the level of cholesterol in our blood far more than the consu...
What to Eat if...You Have High Cholesterol
What to Eat if...You Have High CholesterolWhat to Eat if...You Have High CholesterolWhat to Eat if...You Have High CholesterolWhat to Eat if...You Have High Cholesterol
Strawberries, avocados and other tasty foods that help keep your numbers in check.
What Is the Function of Cholesterol In Your Arteries?