Why should I let my child's teeth fall out on their own?

Megan  Chin, DDS
Pediatric Dentistry
Encourage your child to gently push a loose tooth with his finger or tongue. You don’t want to prematurely wiggle or pull their tooth out. Only your child will know his pain threshold and how much he can push the tooth around. Thus you do not want to cause unnecessary discomfort or risk leaving a fragment of the tooth behind, which can potentially lead to infection. Occasionally, an accident may knock a tooth out early or make an extraction necessary, but only a dental professional should make that determination and remove the teeth safely.

Continue Learning about Children's Oral Health

Avoid These Toxins to Protect Your Child's Teeth
The WBA heavyweight title fight in June, 1997 will always be referred to as “The Bite Fight,” because Mike Tyson bit off part of Evander Holyfield’s e...
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
The first smile ... the first tooth ... the first time the baby happily noshes away on his morning oatmeal. All of these are lovely milestones that pa...
How can I get my child to brush his teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
There are several ways you can entice your child to want to brush his or her teeth. One way is to br...
Will remaining natural teeth have to be removed to get dentures?
There are different types of dentures, depending upon whether you have remaining teeth. Sometimes so...