Does periodontitis affect children differently than adults?

Periodontitis is not very common in children. Instead, it is most commonly found in adults. Children and teenagers may, however, suffer from gingivitis, a gum disease that can lead to periodontitis in later life. Children should be taught good dental hygiene from an early age.

Periodontitis, or gum disease, affects children and adults similarly. However, older adults are more likely to have periodontitis. In fact, about 35% of adults in the United States have some form of periodontitis. Another 50% have gingivitis, the mildest form of gum disease.
Periodontitis does not usually affect children because it is a very advanced stage of gum disease. Chronic periodontitis can lead to the loss of tissue and bone that support the teeth and it may become more severe over time. If it does, your teeth will feel loose and start moving around in your mouth. This is the most common form of periodontitis in adults but can occur at any age. It usually gets worse slowly, but there can be periods of rapid progression.

Aggressive periodontitis is a highly destructive form of periodontal disease that occurs in patients who are otherwise healthy. Common features include rapid loss of tissue and bone and may occur in some areas of the mouth, or in the entire mouth.

Good oral hygiene and having a healthy balanced diet are important for children. As your child gets older and starts taking care of his own teeth, make sure he brushes two times a day with fluoride toothpaste for two minutes and flosses daily to be Mouth Healthy for Life.

Continue Learning about Children's Oral Health

Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
The first smile ... the first tooth ... the first time the baby happily noshes away on his morning oatmeal. All of these are lovely milestones that pa...
Avoid These Toxins to Protect Your Child's Teeth
The WBA heavyweight title fight in June, 1997 will always be referred to as “The Bite Fight,” because Mike Tyson bit off part of Evander Holyfield’s e...
How should I brush my child's teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
You can follow these proper brushing techniques to help your child brush: Place the toothbrush aga...
Should my child use fluoride toothpaste?
Woodrow C. Marriott, MDWoodrow C. Marriott, MD
Fluoridated toothpaste does prevent dental caries or cavities. So you should use fluoridated too...