How can I reduce my child's pain when losing a tooth?

There are several things that you can do to ease your child's pain when he or she loses a tooth. Some are: 
  • Place an iced washcloth over the tooth.
  • Use a mouth-numbing product, like Orajel, or a pain reliever such as Tylenol.
If the tooth hasn't fallen out yet, do not pull it. Let it fall out on its own.
Megan  Chin, DDS
Pediatric Dentistry
Some children describe the feeling of a loose tooth to be painful or uncomfortable. Loose teeth may cause discomfort and the gums around the tooth may become tender or swollen. This usually resolves when the tooth is lost, after the tooth finally breaks free from the gum tissue holding it in.

However, if your child seems to be particularly uncomfortable, you can try alleviating the pain with a cold compress to the area or giving him pain relievers such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen. Some bleeding may be involved with the shedding process, which can be treated by holding pressure to the bleeding gums with a wet washcloth or gauze until the bleeding stops.

Continue Learning about Children's Oral Health

Avoid These Toxins to Protect Your Child's Teeth
Avoid These Toxins to Protect Your Child's Teeth
The WBA heavyweight title fight in June, 1997 will always be referred to as “The Bite Fight,” because Mike Tyson bit off part of Evander Holyfield’s e...
Read More
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
The first smile ... the first tooth ... the first time the baby happily noshes away on his morning oatmeal. All of these are lovely milestones that pa...
Read More
How should I care for my child after tooth removal?
Megan  Chin, DDSMegan Chin, DDS
After losing a tooth, your child may have a small wound in the area. Be careful not to give your chi...
More Answers
Does ageusia affect children differently than adults?
Ageusia means losing your sense of taste. Although the symptom is the same no matter what your age, ...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.