How can kids maintain a healthy smile?

Want to keep your smile forever? Watch as Dudley explains how to keep your smile healthy for a lifetime.

Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics

Maintaining a healthy smile begins with simple, methodical tooth brushing. Children should learn to brush their teeth from their parents. They should see their parents brush their teeth every morning and every night as they are growing up. The parents should make a big deal out of helping children brush their teeth as soon as they are old enough to cooperate. As children have their teeth brushed, they will get the hang of it and want to do it themselves. Parents should let them get started but always follow up and make sure the job is getting done. Children should be taken to the dentist early and often so that their teeth can be cleaned and checked. The dentist and staff will reinforce the brushing and flossing that is happening at home and give additional instruction when necessary. Developing healthy oral hygiene begins at home and it supported by the professionals at your dentist's office.

Continue Learning about Children's Oral Health

Avoid These Toxins to Protect Your Child's Teeth
The WBA heavyweight title fight in June, 1997 will always be referred to as “The Bite Fight,” because Mike Tyson bit off part of Evander Holyfield’s e...
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
The first smile ... the first tooth ... the first time the baby happily noshes away on his morning oatmeal. All of these are lovely milestones that pa...
How should I brush my child's teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
You can follow these proper brushing techniques to help your child brush: Place the toothbrush aga...
How can I help relieve my child's pain after a dental procedure?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
To help relieve your child's pain after a dental procedure, it is important to offer comfort and lis...