How can I tell if my child is in pain after dental surgery?

No dental surgery is pain free, but it is important for your child to be comfortable so she can heal. If she is older, you can talk to her about her pain. If your child is younger or developmentally delayed, she may moan, whimper, make a face of pain, cry, be irritable, be inactive, not eat, or not sleep. In all cases, you should comfort your child and listen to her concerns.

Continue Learning about Children's Oral Health

Avoid These Toxins to Protect Your Child's Teeth
The WBA heavyweight title fight in June, 1997 will always be referred to as “The Bite Fight,” because Mike Tyson bit off part of Evander Holyfield’s e...
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
The first smile ... the first tooth ... the first time the baby happily noshes away on his morning oatmeal. All of these are lovely milestones that pa...
Does temporomandibular disorder affect children differently than adults?
The symptoms of temporomandibular disorders do not differ between children and adults. However, this...
Are children at risk for burning mouth syndrome?
Children have not been diagnosed with burning mouth syndrome (also known as BMS or glossodynia). Mos...