How is a child with MRSA treated in the ICU?

MRSA or methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus is a “super bug” bacteria that is no longer affected by some of our more common antibiotics, specifically beta-lactams.  Because MRSA is resistant to a number of different antibiotics, it can be harder to treat than non-resistant bacteria. However, MRSA is not resistant to EVERY antibiotic and all strains of MRSA can still be treated.  Treatment should be tailored to the type and location of the specific infection.  Children in the ICU are given effective antibiotics and placed in isolation to prevent spreading the bacteria.

Continue Learning about Children In Critical Care

What are some stressors hospitalized teenagers may experience?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
Some stressors that hospitalized teenagers may experience include the following: lack of trust ...
What are common stressors that hospitalized infants may experience?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
Some common stressors that hospitalized infants may experience include the following: separation...
When should I take my child to the emergency room for a bite?
Wesley Medical CenterWesley Medical Center
When an animal, child or insect bites your child it can be frightening. Most bites are minor and can...
Does the pediatric intensivist treat children with cancer?
Alvin JefferyAlvin Jeffery
Yes, a pediatric intensivist can treat children with cancer. However, a hematologist/oncologist (can...