What are the primary causes of obesity in children and adolescents?

Richard Ricciardi
Advanced Practice Nursing
The primary cause of obesity in children and adolescents is eating, on a regular basis, more calories than you need to perform your daily physical and mental activities. Thus, over time your body will store the excess energy (food) as fat. So to become obese either you are eating too many calories or you are not physically active enough to burn the calories that you eat. Of course, genetic factors (your family history) are an important factor too. In most children and adolescents there is no simple cause of obesity, but rather it is caused by a number of factors such as the environment they live in, their social habits, dietary habits, their degree of physical activity and sedentary behaviors, family traditions, and the health habits of the community they live in.

Continue Learning about Childhood Obesity

Ways to Prevent Childhood Obesity
Ways to Prevent Childhood Obesity
If you thought the Houston Astros starting pitcher Justin Verlander couldn’t get any better, his ERA (the average number of earned runs scored against...
How can my child's weight affect his risk of health problems as an adult?
Being overweight or obese puts a child at higher risk for being an overweight adult and thus increas...
How can I make sure my child eats a healthy lunch at school?
If you’re interested in knowing what foods your child is being exposed to at school, you can ask sch...
How Obese Is Our Population?
How Obese Is Our Population?