What are the primary causes of obesity in children and adolescents?

Richard Ricciardi
Advanced Practice Nursing
The primary cause of obesity in children and adolescents is eating, on a regular basis, more calories than you need to perform your daily physical and mental activities. Thus, over time your body will store the excess energy (food) as fat. So to become obese either you are eating too many calories or you are not physically active enough to burn the calories that you eat. Of course, genetic factors (your family history) are an important factor too. In most children and adolescents there is no simple cause of obesity, but rather it is caused by a number of factors such as the environment they live in, their social habits, dietary habits, their degree of physical activity and sedentary behaviors, family traditions, and the health habits of the community they live in.

Continue Learning about Childhood Obesity

How Do We Promote Lifestyle Change to Prevent Obesity?
What Is the Connection Between Stress and Obesity?
How Do You Teach Kids to Eat a Balanced Diet in this Day and Age?
What Is a Good Way to Approach the Issue of Weight with my Children?