How can I tell if my child's rash is caused by chickenpox?

“Chickenpox causes a red, itchy skin rash that usually appears first on the abdomen or back and face and then spreads to almost everywhere else on the body. This includes the scalp, mouth, nose, ears and genitals,” says Giselle Namazie, M.D., internist in UCLA’s Westlake Village office. The signature rash becomes thin-walled blisters filled with clear fluid and appears in crops over two to four days. Once the blister wall breaks, infected areas become open sores, which crust over to become dry, brown scabs and eventually heal.

Continue Learning about Chicken Pox

Is chickenpox serious?
When chickenpox infects a normally healthy child, it usually will clear up without special treat...
How is chickenpox related to shingles?
Chickenpox and shingles share the same cause - the varicella-zoster virus. This virus may stay in yo...
How long should I keep my child out of school with the chickenpox?
If your child has chicken pox, you should keep him out of school until he is no longer contagious. C...
Will my unborn baby be immune to chickenpox if I already had it?
Yes, your baby will receive the antibodies to fight off chickenpox through the placenta. This is cal...