How can I make sure my child doesn't give chickenpox to other kids?

UCLA Health
Administration
Chickenpox is very contagious from about two days before the rash appears until all the blisters are crusted over.

“A child with chickenpox should be kept out of school until all blisters have dried, usually about one week,” advises Giselle Namazie, M.D., internist in UCLA’s Westlake Village office. To help keep the virus from spreading to others, make sure your child washes his/her hands frequently and is kept away from others as much as possible.

Continue Learning about Chicken Pox

Chicken Pox

Chicken Pox

Chickenpox is a contagious viral infection caused by the varicella-zoster virus, the same virus that causes shingles. Commonly affecting children and teens, symptoms of chickenpox include a blistering, itchy rash first appearing o...

n the abdomen, back or face, body aches, fever and in some cases, stomach pain. To treat and manage the symptoms of chickenpox, avoid aggravating the rash, use calamine lotion or dried oatmeal to calm the itching, rest, stick to bland foods and use over-the-counter pain relievers or antihistamines.