How can I make sure my child doesn't give chickenpox to other kids?

Chickenpox is very contagious from about two days before the rash appears until all the blisters are crusted over.

“A child with chickenpox should be kept out of school until all blisters have dried, usually about one week,” advises Giselle Namazie, M.D., internist in UCLA’s Westlake Village office. To help keep the virus from spreading to others, make sure your child washes his/her hands frequently and is kept away from others as much as possible.

Continue Learning about Chicken Pox

How is chickenpox related to shingles?
Chickenpox and shingles share the same cause - the varicella-zoster virus. This virus may stay in yo...
How should I clean my child's skin if she has chickenpox?
Talk to your dermatologist about how to wash your child's skin when he or she has chickenpox. Th...
Will a bath spread a chickenpox rash?
Don't worry. Baths will not spread the rash you have from chickenpox from one part of the body to an...
How long does chickenpox usually last?
Chickenpox usually sticks around for longer than you'd like. The blisters don't all appear at once. ...