When should I call my child’s doctor about chickenpox?

Call your child’s doctor if your child:
• Is lethargic (does not smile or show interest in playing for at least a few minutes during any four-hour period)
• Took steroids (such as Prelone®, Prednisone®, inhaled steroids for asthma) in the past 21 days and you forgot to tell the doctor who examined your child
• Has infected sores (one that is more red and painful than the others) or is draining foul smelling or yellow-green fluid
• Has sores in or near the eyes
• Has severe headaches
• Has a temperature above 102°F on or after day four, or above 104°F at any time
• Goes eight to 12 hours without urinating
• Has a severe or persistent cough
• Is vomiting or confused with decreased alertness
• Is inconsolable (cannot be calmed for at least a few minutes each hour using methods that usually work for your child, such as holding, rocking, pacifiers or soothing talk)

Continue Learning about Chicken Pox

Could I have chickenpox and not even know it?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
Yes, you could have chickenpox and not show signs of it. This is because the rash doesn't show up fo...
More Answers
What should I know about taking care of a child with chickenpox?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
You should know that if your child is otherwise healthy, then the chickenpox will probably turn ...
More Answers
How is chickenpox related to shingles?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
Chickenpox and shingles share the same cause - the varicella-zoster virus. This virus may stay in yo...
More Answers
Where on the body does the chickenpox rash spread?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
The rash associated with chickenpox usually begins on the face, chest, and back, and can pretty much...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.