Can I take an antihistamine for the itch of chickenpox?

Sometimes doctors will suggest people with chickenpox take an antihistamine for the itchiness related to the disease. You will want to make sure your doctor knows about any underlying health conditions you have and any other medications you are taking, though. Also, if your child has chickenpox, talk to your doctor about the safety of the medication in children.

Continue Learning about Chicken Pox Treatment

If my child has chickenpox, how can I make him more comfortable?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Use cool, wet compresses or bathe your child in cool or lukewarm water or oatmeal products every thr...
What treatment will my child get for chickenpox?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Your child’s doctor will talk with you about specific care for your child. Some general guidelines t...
How can I keep my child from scratching chickenpox?
It may be hard to keep a child from scratching at the unbearably itchy rash of chickenpox. But it is...
How effective is the chickenpox vaccine?
The vaccine that protects people from getting chicken pox or herpes zoster is 70% to 90% effective a...